Travel with me for 27 months of service as a Peace Corps volunteer in Moldova!

Thank you for sharing in my experience and please keep in touch by leaving comments! Om Shanti

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The first 4 months of Moldova...clearly blogging isn't my forte!

Hey everyone!

I've decided to give another attempt at blogging.  These last 4 months have been crazy and I haven't had regular access to the internet so I'll try to sum up as best I can what life is like here in Moldova.  (My mind had a brief brainfreeze after typing that sentence because there is so much I can write about I am not sure where to start).  But here goes the brief version...

So my first 10 weeks here I was living in the village of Bardar for what the Peace Corps (PC) calls "Pre-Service Trainning" or PST.  I lived with a wonderful family and went to "school" everyday to learn to speak Romanian and how to be a successful health education PC volunteer.  PST is an interesting time because you are living in a new culture with a host family but you are also very busy with PC activities.  In my village there were 7 other health education volunteers, or "healthies" as we are called here.  The 8 of us bonded quickly and became a little PC family, learning together about our new country and the in's and out's of teaching health education and improving community health for our future sites.  At the time, the days seemed long but looking back it was nice to have a group of friends who were always around and experiencing the same things together.   PST ended with "practice school" when our future teaching partners came to our village for two weeks and we taught in Romanian the village kids lessons about various health topics..it was a PC health camp of sorts.  After practice school, we dressed up in traditional Moldovan costumes and danced and sang traditional songs as a thank you to our first host families.  PST ended with a swearing-in ceremony at the US embassy in the capital of Moldova, Chisinau.  It felt like an ending but it was actually the beginning of the next 2 years living by ourselves in our respective villages.  It was time for the "fun" to start.  Check out my facebook for pictures and in my next blog I'll tell you all about my home village, Bobeica!

No comments:

Post a Comment